Specific instruments for dance tunes

Ozorak

Message 35590 · 19 Jun 2003 01:05:44 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I think I was misunderstood here.

What I meant is that if a devisor insisted that the tune must be played
on an accordion and the local band doesn't have an accordionist, then it
creates a hardship.

There have been many cases where groups we've played for wanted to have
"Reel of the Royal Scots" played on the bagpipes, but there were no
local pipers able to play for 4 1/2 minutes at SCD speed.

Etienne

-----Original Message-----
From: John Chambers [mailto:xx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:26 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Re: Specific instruments for dance tunes

Etienne Ozorak writes:
| One could specify instrumentation, but that would have the potential
of
| limiting the performance options.

Nah; I don't think it would limit the musicians at all, at least not
any that I regularly play with. You just wouldn't always hear it on
the suggested instrument.

There are a lot of SCD tunes that are universally considered "pipe
tunes". This doesn't deter any musicians from playing them. It does
mean that a lot of people will do what much bagpipe styling they can
manage on their instrument. Thus, if I'm playing accordion and have
piano or drum backup, I'll often play just a drone and no chords for
one round of a pipe tune.

Which does bring to mind an accordion joke:

Q: What's worse than having an accordion or bagpipe in your band?

A: An accordions player pretending to play a bagpipe.

Anyway, there's no harm in suggesting a preferred instrument for a
tune. If it's really a good tune for that instrument, the musicians
may realize this anyway, and will likely give a solo or two to the
instrument.