Specific instruments for dance tunes

Ozorak

Message 35584 · 18 Jun 2003 13:56:19 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

One could specify instrumentation, but that would have the potential of
limiting the performance options. For example, some accordion bands do
not have fiddle. Other groups may have just fiddle and piano and no
accordions. Some dances, such as "The Clarsach" may suggest a harpist,
but one would have to find a local harpist willing and able to perform
to SCD standards. In short, most regions around the world are already
limited to the small pocketful of musicians able to play for SCD. A
second issue is that dancers have their preference for specific
instrumentation, regardless of what a devisor might intend or prefer.

That being said, I don't think there would be any harm in "suggesting"
specific instrumentation, just as much as one can suggest specific music
for certain dances.

Etienne Ozorak
Pennsylvania USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Wouter Joubert [mailto:XxxxxxX@XXXXXXX.XXX.XX]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 6:27 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Specific instruments for dance tunes

A question for the musicians: would it be acceptable to specify which
instrument/s one thinks would be best to play an original dance tune?

To clarify the question - when I compose SCD tunes(not too often), I
usually have a specific sound/instrument in mind but not having
published any dances with music, I don't know if one could or should go
so far.

Wouter Joubert
Pretoria
Suid-Afrika