ceilidh vs SCD

Pia Walker

Message 35399 · 4 Jun 2003 14:11:10 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

This is a bit like saying that people who hasnt' taken dance classes of any
kind - should not be seen on a dance-floor at all. And that is a bit
unfair.

People in Europe might not dance a lot of ceidlidh, because (at least in
Denmark- probably elsewhere too) we have been taught SCD from Society
Teachers, who have gone to St Andrews Summerschool to be taught and to take
their exams, and they have had no real knowledge on how the 'real' scot in
scotland dance (OK and before you all grab your keyboards, how many of you
have been to a Scottish Wedding in Scotland with Scottish guests - who are
not members of the RSCDS? Scottish dancing is executed there, but of
course the footware is not pumps - it is what you wear to a wedding - the
uncontrolled pushing and pulling is helping others around after a few drinks
:>) (and it happens in RSCDS classes without the drink too, so does
Arythmic motion, and the expect an unexpected move).

And with regards to how to birl properly - well I have seen plenty RSCDS
dancers who cannot birl for tuppence. So don't blame ceilidh. In my family
of very Proud Scots - I'm the only one who have learned to dance prop'ly,
and I'm the foreigner, they love to dance and I too have fun dancing with
these uninitiated natives.

By the way I met my husband at a scottish function in Denmark, after an
eightsome reel, done RSCDS style - and he asked me if this was a danish
folk-dance!

Surely it is the joy of dancing that counts - the dances are all Scottish,
it is just the dance styles that vary - my only comment ot the American
wedding is - ONLY AN HOUR OF DANCING SCD?

Pia