Key Indicators (was New News and latterly News News)

Pia Walker

Message 35028 · 24 Apr 2003 09:51:37 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

But surely for a membership organisation that organisation must know its
members?
I'm sure the AA - The RAC, The Federation of Small Business, to name a few
membership organisations (sorry it is british orgs) - have a central
database with members names on it.

I for one believe strongly, that if the Newsbrief, the Bulletin etc was
addressed to individual members, even if distributed through the branches -
many more people would receive their copy and perhaps take ownership of
them.

I have heard that in some branches it takes a long time to deliver these
items, and psychologically it might be an incentive for the branch committee
to hand things over earlier if these items were addressed to named
individually. From being a stack of paper - it becomes mail to deliver.

Furthermore, again psychologically, it gives people a feeling of belonging
if they see their name on someting, and that is something that is missing
with RSCDS - the sense that each individual member belongs. The off-shot
of this is that you have members being proud of the "club" and will promote
it to others, who then will become members, and thus the membership will
rise. OK this is a very "naive" and simplified way of looking at things -
but it is a start.

A few years ago I worked as a sub-contractor for an EU project - my job was
to talk to european scientists and get their research on a database - in
some countries I had great problems - yes they were interested in taking
part, and yes would fill in the form when they received them etc etc - but
nothing ever happened - until the day I started filling in their address
detail for them - and suddenly I was inundated with return forms - the
scientists took ownership of the form I sent them.

It is important for any org to acknowledge their members as individuals and
not just part of a greater whole or just a number.

Pia
apologizing for getting on her high horse again.