Rap briefing. Was: Dr. Seuss and SCD

Marilynn Knight

Message 33253 · 22 Dec 2002 16:50:14 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

In fact, I think it is great to be able to dance to the 'mouth music' which
I got to do two summers at Gaelic College on Cape Breton, thanks to Maggie
Keppie, so it doesn't seem to be a ridiculous extension to brief the dances
in rhythm and tempo.... maybe that is our gift to the on-going from our time
in the history.

We say we don't want SCD to die.....so why resist logical growth and gentle
change....

MLK
In the South of the USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Norah Link [mailto:xxxxx.xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xx]
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 9:51 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: RE: Rap briefing. Was: Dr. Seuss and SCD

> Briefing, Not calling.
> I have difficulty with Rapp as well, but it might be very interesting to
> have
> dances briefed in rhythm and tempo to the particular dance, i.e., brief a
> strathspey in the same rhythm and tempo, or jigs, reels or hornpipes, the
> same. I'll think on it and see if it might work (I'm not a
> teacher, but as a
> dancer on the receiving end of a brief.............it might
> actually work to
> get dancers to remember figures and phrasing).

I recall one of the ECD teachers at Pinewoods (wish I could remember her
name, but it was many years ago!) at the evening dance would often diddle
the tune when she was briefing /teaching the dance (I say /teaching because
it was at ESS, where evening dances are often walked once to accommodate the
half of the room who are new to that style)... So she would say something
like "up a double and back - yup-a-dum da dum duppa-dee-da-dum, yup-a-dum da
dum duppa-dee" (singing the tune). Sometimes one or more of the musicians
would join in quietly in the background.

I really liked the way it communicated the structure and feel of the dance
together, and have occasionally ported it to my classes. My experienced
social class who are not used to it think I am exceedingly weird. With the
beginners, however, it worked really well on the occasions when I did it.
The whole idea was reinforced at a "music in teaching" workshop we had with
Beth Murray this fall, who had many really cool ideas for working with music
in class. And that is a blatant plug - we really enjoyed this workshop,
with opportunities to express and explore musical ideas and to work with a
musician (something we don't often get to do in our area).

Taking this opportunity to wish you all a happy holiday season -

Norah Link
Montreal, Quebec