Briefing

Helen P.

Message 33115 · 17 Dec 2002 14:17:28 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

From: "Adam Hughes" <xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 7:29 AM

Very nicely put, Adam. In ECD, they can't even decide which of two ways is
correct for something as simple as "siding" -- my money's on the *third*
way. ;-)

Really, continuing both oral and written traditions, together, is the best
approach. One thing that helps SCD is those pesky <g> fiddlers, who very
often insist on teaching by ear, but also require students to play from
sheet music as well.

I particularly like the approach used in our local Scottish Fiddle Club.
We're taught several tunes by ear, until our brains get tired out. Then we
learn some more tunes off the sheets, and take a break. We leave with
written music for all the music learned, and students may also tape record
the session for later playback.

-- Helen