Dance Devising

Marilynn Knight

Message 31511 · 31 Jul 2002 13:45:40 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Sure, I occasionally use it as a class lesson to really engage the class and
de-mystify the dances. I ask each dancer to think of his/her favorite
figure. Then, we try out fitting them together, discuss best order, what
works, what doesn't work. Sometimes we score well; more often, it wakes
them up to the key role of dance geography and transitions, etc... And, it
does re-inforce the "groupness" of it all. Oh, all right, the importance of
the team aspect. :)
Marilynn Latta Knight
Columbia, South Carolina

-----Original Message-----
From: Malcolm Brown [mailto:Xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 6:08 AM
To: Strathspey Submissions
Subject: Dance Devising

While sorting through some dance instructions I had inherited, (many of
which were printed on the back of dance programmes from about 20 years ago),
I decided to look them up in DanceData, to find out where they were actually
published and who had devised them.

Several of the dances were attributed to joint devisers, and I wondered how
people managed to do this. I can understand people who are devising a dance
based on a particular idea asking for comments and suggestions on whether it
works, or even asking for a suitable ending, but in the end I would still
consider it to be their dance, and I would expect them to take make the
decision whether to take or disregard the advice!

Is there anyone out there who has tired collaborative dance devising? How
did you find it worked?

Malcolm

Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
York (UK)