Question about "Rant"

res009k3

Message 29740 · 27 Feb 2002 04:47:09 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

As far as I can tell, there is no direct relationship
between "rant" and "ranting and raving...."

Rant appears in dance tunes which the RSCDS tends to call
reels.

1. Note: the Society invented what we call "strathspeys"
as a longways country dance form as opposed to a tune,
which explains why some strathspey tunes have rant in their title.
2. Note: the verbs: to jig/reel/rant all have been used as synonous with "to dance" irrespective of their tempo. So,
it is not ungrammatical to say, I am jigging Petronella.
3. In the North of England, there is a specific style of
two-step call ed the rant step, which, to me, has a rhythm
not unlike a Polka, hop hop step as opposed to hop step
hop.

So the answer to your class should vary depending on the
context of their question.

From: "Marian Stroh" <xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>
Date: 2002/02/26 Tue PM 04:41:46 CST
To: <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Subject: Question about "Rant"

Class members asked the other night what the significance of the word "Rant"
was in a dance name, as in Maxwell's Rant. I don't know, and wonder if
anyone out there can help.

Marian Stroh
Reno, NV
xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx