E pluribus unum

Andrew Smith

Message 28067 · 7 Nov 2001 09:27:27 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I would add a rider to Jim's comments.

There seemed to be some antagonism to the fact that Option 3(C) was
resurrected in the face of the Exec councils support of 1(A), and that to
seek an alternative was undemocratic.
Jim wrote: "> there comes a point when, whatever form of democracy has been
agreed, it has to be accepted." This is true, but does not mean that a
decision is then cast in tablets of stone for ever, otherwise there is no
point in Jim, and others of us, continuing the fight from within. It means
that one works to make the decision work, but that one does not, and indeed
should not, give up working to make it work better. This is the beauty of a
democracy, that one can always work within a constitutional framework to try
to get one's views across while still supporting the work of the
organisation. (Otherwise there are some political parties which would have
had to put up the shutters years ago.)
Equally, one cannot take one's ball home and leave an organisation (if a
decision has been taken with which one does not agree), and still hope to
influence that organisation, because in a democratic society change can only
be effected from within. (Even if it is in response to external forces, it
still has to be accepted by the majority. By definition, I would suggest,
democracy is dead when very major change is imposed from outside.)
Andrew.