If I have understood it correctly, Angus's posting and Eric's comments on it
can be summarised as essentially arguing for what was Option 3 rejected at
the recent Executive Council meeting. It was, of course, the preferred
Option of those who put together the discussion paper.
The rejection by the Executive - your Branch Representatives - means that
only Option 1 which includes a significant fee increase will appear on the
Agenda in November. That is unless some Branch comes up soon with a properly
approved motion which puts it back on that Agenda - there have been some
suggestions that this might happen.
I agree with Angus and Eric that Option 1 will result in a significant loss
of members, particularly overseas. I am even more concerned that we will
find ourselves in November with a "no" vote to Option 1 which, in addition
to delaying correction of the Society's finances, will also have the effect
of rejecting the restructuring of the management which many people agree is
urgently needed. At the end of the day, therefore, this is going to be down
to getting the votes out and making them count. Given the significance of
this AGM, it is vital, IMO, that every Branch ensures that they have
appointed the delegates to which they are entitled and have instructed them
fully in how they wish them to vote on this issue.
PS There will be plenty of room to dance for all who wish to come to Perth
in November :)
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.