cribs

Marilynn Knight

Message 26099 · 16 May 2001 16:32:24 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Because looong words are more likely to get someone's attention?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Hastings [mailto:xxx@xxx.xx.xx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 10:28 AM
To: 'xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx'
Subject: RE: cribs

> I would lean toward only two levels (crib and brief being names for the
same
> minimum detail document).

I would lean towards a continuous spectrum of 'condensed' descriptions
individually tailored to the user. The crib database could surely include
full personal details to allow customisation to suit the specific enquirer.

> How would Pilling diagrams fit into the scheme ?

Somewhere between the bottom (no source information) and the top (original
instructions). The track record of "Pilling's successors" in vigorously
defending their copyright is well documented in the Strathspey archives so I
wouldn't look for free issue to a Web-based system any time soon.

Why are "condense" and "abbreviate" such long words ?

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)