RSCDS teacher training (was Beginners...)

Jana Hopper

Message 25367 · 24 Mar 2001 16:56:36 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Lee Fuell <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
|=20
| Ah, but here's my point: John described carefully planned and=20
| structured "First Time" events. This and subsequent descriptions=20
| of second and third times imply a progressive course designed to=20
| gradually improve their skills and confidence. This, I think, is a =
key=20
| variable in a successful formula for beginners. John also shared=20
| some good ideas about how skilled teachers will make the initial=20
| SCD experience fun, another key to successfully hooking them. =20
| My question now becomes, "Does the RSCDS teacher training=20
| process attempt to develop such skills in its teachers?"

Lee and all,

The answer to your question is "yes". The training that I am receiving =
for my prelim. cert. from three very capable tutors (Mel Briscoe, Ellie =
Briscoe and Elaine Brunken) has focused on teaching beginners and the =
process of progressive teaching (from easier to more difficult). BUT, =
the reality of our class presents quite a different challenge. We have =
a nice sized class when we collect everyone who is dancing, but if we =
try to break it down to separate the beginners and the others who aren't =
very interested in going over all of the beginner steps AGAIN, we don't =
really have enough for two classes. We are forced to try to "hook" =
those beginners and at the same time not frustrate the more experienced =
dancers. We are hoping for the future to have the chance to offer a =
basic class but for now we must do the best we can...as I am sure many =
small groups understand.

Jana Blue
Richmond, VA =20
USA