Plantar Fascitis

Jack Pollock

Message 23836 · 26 Nov 2000 22:23:47 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

I guess we all respond differently to treatment. I had a really bad case in
my left foot about eight years ago, which lasted two years. Two cortisone
shots combined with all the other treatments listed finally cured it.

I've got a dose in my other foot now, and Ibuprofen (2400 mg./day) combined
with rest hardly helped at all. My doctor gave me a cortisone shot a month
ago, a temporary arch support to wear 24 hrs/day, and a prescription for an
anti-inflammatory called Lodine XL (1000 mg./day), and the improvement has
been dramatic. Almost, but not quite a total cure, so I guess more rest.
etc. is indicated. I have a pair of custom orthotics, and he told me not to
start wearing them until AFTER I get cured.

My philosophy is to attack it with everything available, including soft
shoes, arch support, heel cushioning, stretching, medication, a maximum of
three cortisone shots, ice, rest, massage, beer, stretching, and malt
whisky, and hope for the quickest possible cure. As Adriana said, the longer
you have it, the harder it is to get rid of.

If an activity hurts, even very slightly and briefly, don't do it, and that
includes barefoot trips to the bathroom at night.

Jack Pollock
Waynesville, North Carolina, USA