Copyrights and "He Built a Crooked House"

Lee Fuell

Message 21809 · 5 Jul 2000 00:48:25 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

From: Norah Link <xxxxx@xxx.xx>

> How very true these comments are. What I have been wondering throughout
> this discussion is why Martha wanted to publish these instructions on a
> personal web page. Is it part of a "cheat sheet" for an upcoming dance?
> (Personally, I don't think these should be made available freely over the
> web.)

How is this substantially different than printing a book of briefs for
the attendees of a ball? Does it a matter that the attendees have
paid for the ball, therefore it's OK to give them printed copies of the
dance descriptions? Seems like if the ball organizers are making
money from the ball, this would be more of a copyright infringement
than posting them on a web site, especially if the web site posting
is temporary and related to a specific upcoming dance.

I suspect a very strict interpretation of copyright law (and it seems
to vary a bit from the US to UK; not sure about Canada) would
make it virtually impossible to print ball dance brief booklets. I
don't know if this is common practice worldwide, but it seems to be
the norm in the eastern half of the US. Permanently posting
dances on web sites without copyright holder permission would
seem to be inappropriate; doing so temporarily as an aid for
attendees to prepare for a specific upcoming ball would seem to be
close enough to "fair use" (the "teaching" exemption).

Lee