Music for Lancers

Gerry Gray

Message 21729 · 28 Jun 2000 19:24:36 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

I agree with what others have told you. Everything I have ever read suggests
that the Lancers (and most likely all other Quadrilles) were danced to the
popular music of the day rather than to any specific music. Guess that means
that sets using 'Phantom of the Opera' would be very appropriate! Certainly
G&S have been very popular choices in the past, but shouldn't be taken as
the only thing appropriate. I have recordings by Jimmy Shand, Jimmy Cameron
and Rob Gordon and G&S certainly were their choice. At one time (can't find
it anymore!), I had a copy of Heart of Oak Lancers recorded by the Harry
Davidson Orchestra in the early 1900's. It had been on extended play 78
format. That was a treat. The one I used the most for the Lancers was Jimmy
Cameron's Trial by Jury.

But, you made reference to the 1880's -- if you are interested in the type
of music they would have been dancing the Quadrilles to at that time, PJS
Richardson in the his book The Social Dances of the 19th Century includes a
programme from a State Ball at Buckingham Palace held shortly before the
Boer War. There are four Quadrilles on the programme and the music listed
was 'Methusalem' by Strauss, 'Paris Leben' by Offenbach, 'Boccaccio' by
Suppe and 'Zigeunerbaron' by Strauss.

In the same book, Richardson includes a typical programme from 1848. Here
the five Quadrilles were danced to

Quadrille (First Set) "Robert Bruce" by Musard
Parisian Quadrille "Le Comte de Carmagnola" by Bosisio
Parisian Quadrille "Don Pasquale" by Tolbecque
Parisian Quadrille "Nino" by Coote
Parisian Quadrille "Les Fetes du Chateau d'Eu" by Musard

- Gerry

Gerry Gray
18 Mutch Drive #10
Stratford, PE C1A 9K6