Young people and attitudes. was Illustrated SCD Book and Posters

Richard L. Walker

Message 21599 · 22 Jun 2000 20:07:01 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Of course, we do all that and more. We make it impossible for them to join
the RSCDS until they are interested in other things. Sometimes we make it
impossible for them to join dance classes until they are older.

In theory, this is to make certain the adults do not have to baby-sit. In
practice, there are 9 year olds who love to learn dances and they behave as
adults in class. (We have had two -- and yes we are careful where
strathspeys are concerned.) There are also young adults, of the acceptable
age, who could care less about learning dances. I dumped the age rule and
explain to the parents that we do no babysitting. If the kids would rather
run around the room and play, or if they demonstrate a lack of interest on a
regular basis (not those little spurts of energy that I'm guilty of from
time to time) we simply ask them to reconsider coming to dance class - and
we could be more blunt, but have never had to be. I wouldn't trade our
group of kids for any number of RSCDS membership cards. They are regular
dancers with no special status.

"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726