Young people and attittudes. was Illustrated SCD Book and Posters

Pia Walker

Message 21581 · 22 Jun 2000 11:58:54 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Hi Peter
Since many of us are (excessively ?) fond
> of this type of dancing that would be a pity.

This is why you are so young looking, isn't it????

To make any "customer" survey worth while, it should not only be the present
customers who are asked, as they are "towing the line", it should also be
past dancers i.e. "Why did you stop", and non-dancers i.e. "Why haven't you
started" - this is the only way you can get the full picture. plus of
course the older generation should be asked: "What do you do for young
people?" - and this is where I think the interesting though predictable
answer will be shown: NOT A LOT - I'm sure there are a lot of Branches out
there, who do nothing for children and young people .

Over the years we have had many discussion here on how to make people feel
welcome, and have always spoken of adults. So we should ask ourselves -
what do we do to make kids of all ages welcome? Do we have classes? Do we
treat these youths as fellow dancers? Do we mingle with them? - are they
invited to dances/classes with "grown ups" on an equal basis?
Alternatively, do we go down/up to their level, to join in their fun?
Without begin condescending and stuck up?

Wow! 2 hobby horses in as many days!

Pia