Strathspey Poussette

Kent Smith

Message 19601 · 2 Dec 1999 16:02:17 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Ah yes, the transition from travelling and setting and from setting to
travelling in strathspey! A few years ago, I did an informal poll of
friends who are all experienced teachers who think about such issues. There
was no consensus except that all agreed that whatever one does should be
smooth and not awkward.

My personal experience is that I feel there was a shift in "approved"
technique sometime in the '70s, but I wonder if in reality it was simply
different teachers with equally firm but opposite opinions.

To add to Malcolm's list, how about the transition from setting to circling
to the left? How many find it easy to move from third rear low aerial to
crossing in front with the right foot?

The problem going from travelling to setting, in part I think, is that
simply passing through first on the "hop" before moving out to second
somehow seems undefined because of the change of direction.

Kent
Connecticut