Warm-ups

Richard L. Walker

Message 19433 · 17 Nov 1999 18:42:49 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

Yes indeed. I also like adding the sports medicine concept to the
discussion as has been done. For years I would go to a dance, get
inflammation of the knees, go to the doctor, get pills, get rid of the
inflammation -- repeat having passed a cycle. A sports doctor mentioned
knee braces and I haven't gotten inflammation in my knees again. The sports
doctors tend to look for what caused something to occur and consider how to
prevent it from happening again. My regular doctor looked at how to treat
what went wrong -- with no consideration about how to keep it from happening
again. Good doctor, just a different way of looking at things.

I also second Anselm's concern about having a nice warm-up routine while
several individuals either arrive late or simply sit in chairs until it is
over. Invariably I have to start with dances that leave out pas de basque,
etc. as well as request weekly (not weakly) that they dance easily at first
so they don't hurt themselves.

Maybe Keith could add a comment about stretching. We do a little bit of
stretching at the end of our warm-up. Others comment that stretches would
be more beneficial after a dance or two -- maybe even at the end of the
evening. If the situation were ideal, would you do stretches at both times
(during the warm-up and then after a few dances) or only at one preferred
time. My main concern is still keeping people from hurting themselves.