Ardbrae Ball, Ottawa, 15 Jan. 2000

Carole Robb Bisson

Message 19270 · 9 Nov 1999 05:10:22 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Thank you for sending me the info. I will happily attend.
We did a survey, the 7 of us who went to Kingston last weekend.
You are the most elegant, graceful and skilled dancer in the area. At least
we think so.
You are kind to the extreme , especially to less experienced eager beavers.
Carole
This is a copy of a really great dance we did on the weekend.

Gypsy Weaver 32 bar Strathspey for 3 couples

1-2 First couple and third couple dance right shoulder 3/4 of the way around
partner to finish in a line of four in the center of the dance (women facing
down, men facing up).

3-6 First couple and third couple dance a half reel of four up and down the
center of the dance.

7-8 First couple and third couple dance right shoulder 3/4 of the way around
partner to finish on own sides.

9-12 Second couple and first couple (bottom couples) set and link.

13-16 Third couple and first couple (top couples) set and link (first woman
and third man remain facing out).

17-20 Half reels of three on the sides (first couple and third couple pass
right shoulder to begin, first woman remains facing out at the bottom).

21-24 First woman, followed by her partner, casts up around third woman and
across the dance; first woman pulls back her left shoulder and turns her
partner with the left hand to finish facing first corners (3C step down on
bars 23-24).

25-32 First couple dance "Corners Pass and Turn": First couple dance right
shoulder around first corner position as first corners turn with two hands
and dance back to place; First couple pass right shoulder in the middle to
face second corner; First couple dance right shoulder around second corner
position as second corners turn with two hands and dance back to place;
First couple pass right shoulder to finish in second place on own sides.

After the second repetition, the fourth couple should begin from fourth
position, dancing up slightly as they pass right shoulder round each other
while the first couple steps down.

Suggested tune: A slow air or other light and lilting strathspey (The Gypsy
Weaver by Liz Donaldson)

Devised by Dr. Denise Peet of the Washington, D.C. Branch RSCDS.