The shaking hands grip

Smith, Kent

Message 17706 · 17 Jun 1999 16:16:17 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB8BB.46E862E4

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't there a difference between a
hand-shake and palms up or down depending upon which hands you are joining?
Right to right or left to left produces the handshake, but right to left, as
in taking hands on the side or dancing with nearer hands joined invites
someone to offer the palm up -- the reason for all the hand waving when two
men or two women take hands on the side or in a circle.

Kent (Connecticut)

-----Original Message-----
From: xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: The shaking hands grip

Oberdan:

> To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for anyone to offer palm upward to
> form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers to raise the arms from
> their sides with the palms facing the floor, turning them only slightly
> toward each other to form the shaking hands grip. An upward facing palm is
> an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous thumb grip.

Hi, Oberdan
I have it in my bones from years past, though I have no authority
for it, that you give the 'shake hands' grip when passing or
turning and the 'palm up' when alongside or moving in the same
direction.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB8BB.46E862E4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: The shaking hands grip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't there a =
difference between a hand-shake and palms up or down depending upon =
which hands you are joining?&nbsp; Right to right or left to left =
produces the handshake, but right to left, as in taking hands on the =
side or dancing with nearer hands joined invites someone to offer the =
palm up -- the reason for all the hand waving when two men or two women =
take hands on the side or in a circle.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Kent (Connecticut)</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 4:59 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: The shaking hands grip</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oberdan:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for =
anyone to offer palm upward to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers =
to raise the arms from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; their sides with the palms facing the floor, =
turning them only slightly</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; toward each other to form the shaking hands =
grip. An upward facing palm is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous =
thumb grip.</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi, Oberdan</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I have it =
in my bones from years past, though I have no authority </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for it, that you give the 'shake hands'&nbsp; grip =
when passing or </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>turning and the 'palm up' when alongside or moving =
in the same </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>direction.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>