RSCDS Day School and Competition

Richard L. Walker

Message 15552 · 22 Jan 1999 04:47:54 · Fixed-width font · Whole thread

ha ha - you are preaching to the choir.
Someone else had mentioned an RSCDS competition in England and I was putting
it down -- tongue in cheek. There are a few group in California that also
compete and it drives me nuts. I get so frustrated with the statement, "a
little friendly competition." I agree, Scottish country dancing never has,
doesn't, and never will need it. Any competition polarizes the participants
and anyone or any group who says it doesn't is simply lying through their
teeth.
Thanks for the reply. It is nice to hear a view I can agree with.

Richard L Walker
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob McNaughton [mailto:xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 1999 5:13 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
Subject: Re: RSCDS Day School and Competition

Yes, Richard, I too thought Scottish country dancing was "social" dancing.
At what can one possibly compete? -- My group is more social than your
group! Our group has more fun than yours! We're more welcoming! We have
better teachers! We have more men! -- What?

I just don't understand the concept. Country dancing is one activity which
has only one team and every participant world-wide is on that same team.
Please, don't break us into opposing forces. Highland dancing
has already had all the culture and creativity squeezed from it because it
only exists for competition. It might as well be a professional sport.

Share the joy! Co-operate in the development of the art. Surely, we don't
need to compete against each other!

Bob McNaughton 16-1002 Dufferin Ave. Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7H 2C1
306-244-8283 mailto:xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx omnia interrogate