Sterile Younger Hall Dems

Pia

Message 15332 · 26 Dec 1998 13:56:40 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Hi Duncan

After having cooked Christmas dinner on the 24th and on the 25th I wanted a
little light relief from sitting flaking out with a glass in front of the
telly staring at a square screen - so got up to look at another. :>)

As another Younger Hall Sterile Dem Dancer (of the older variety) who feel
honoured to be good enough to be selected - and once stopped dead in there,
not knowing where she was going!!!!! I would like to defend the dem team
by adding that in many cases the 8 dancers have not danced together very
much prior to entering the hallowed halls this can make interaction between
dancers look a little stiff. We get asked if we are interested on the
tuesday, and practice the dances on the wednesday and thursday for one hour
each day. I think anyone going onto that floor with that audience with
only two hours practise deserve a medal (and a stiff drink afterwards).

The difference between Younger hall dems and other dems is that in normally
you have people looking at you from the waist up - in Younger Hall, the
spectators only look from the knees down. Half of the audience wants to be
out there and do it better - the other half are glad that it is not them
out there. And if anyone changes anything - there are plenty of people who
will complain - the first fortnighters wear sashes and have done so for 2
seasons and it looks loveley- and the uproar!!!! There is now a policy on
which shoulder to wear the sash for the Younger Hall dem. So much for
relaxed attittudes - I am sure no-one on this list would ever do such a
thing as complain about changes!!!!!! :>)

I feel that the secret of a good dem-group is that not only does it consist
of good dancers, but these dancer are also totally in harmony and
comfortable with each other - this is the only way that the audience will
see totally enjoyable dancing - a bit like a band or orchestra who like to
play with each other - their music comes over totally different.

Happy continuation of the festive season.

 From: Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) <x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx>