dance competition

Ian Brockbank 05-Jan-1995 0951

Message 12383 · 19 Jun 1998 19:49:54 · Variable-width font · Whole thread

Another follow-up restricted to the scottish-dance mailing list.

Ian
---
Xxx.Xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Edinburgh, Scotland
Grand Chain: The Scottish Dance and Music Resource:
                     --- http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~ibb/scd/

-----Original Message-----
From: Caroline Emma Rose [mailto:xxx@xx-xxxxxxx.xx.xx]
Sent: 19 June 1998 17:26
To: xxxxxxxx-xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx
Subject: Re: dance competition

Well competitions in SCD are already run in various places although
know very little about them.

Certainly from my experiance with highland, competitions can have an
excellent effect on raising the standard. (Although I agree with Sven
that demonstrations can have a similar effect). Suddenly people become
incredibly motivated to know how to do things right.

As to demonstration teams dancing together all night - yes I have
certainly come accross this problem with some teams - however I think it
is really more to do with the culture of the dance group. Any teams I've
danced with, eg at balls, have been actively encouraged to dance with
anyone except each other . The logic is that the more spread out in the
room the good dancers are, the more chance there is of getting the less
experianced through the dances and thus everyone can have a good evening.

As to how to mark - I'd be reluctant to go down the path of marking
individuals as I suspect this would have a detrimental effect on "team
spirit" and could lead to uneccesary nastiness (eg attributing blame to
individuals for teams loosing etc).

One minor aside - I think part of my definition of "a good dancer" is
a high level of flexibility in dancing well with all sorts of different
partners. Therefore I'm not really sure that demonstration level dancers
neccesarily do dance much better with a partner they work with regularily.

Anyway - I think that's more than enough of my opinions. Thanks for
having the patience to read this far. Happy dancing - and good luck with the
competition if you decide to go ahead.

Caroline